• Read our January 2012 cover story about the changes to communication that social media has brought to local life.
• Read about how small businesses, local contractors and other neighborhood groups can use social media.
• What’s a friend and a follow? Click here for a glossary of basic social media terminology.
We love interacting with our neighbors on social media, and the web features so many of these virtual “front porches.” Here’s how we at the Advocate are using some of those places right now.
• We keep you informed by sending neighborhood headlines to your news feed
• When we take photos at a local event, we usually make them into a Facebook album for easy viewing and sharing.
• We also love it when you comment on our posts and tell us what you think about an issue.
• Tweet and peruse your timeline often? Twitter is an efficient, quick way to get neighborhood news.
• You can also interact with editor Emily Toman by following her @EmilyToman.
• In addition to our online video gallery, this is the social media presence to showcase our talented videographers’ stories from the neighborhood.
• If you have a personal Youtube account, you can subscribe to our channel to easily stay connected to the faces and places they capture.
• We love taking fun snapshots around town and behind-the-scenes pics in the Advocate office. Download the iPhone app (the Android app is coming soon!), search Advocatemag.com, and follow us.
• We want to see your pics too! When you upload shots from our neck of the woods, hash-tag them #farnorthdallas to help build our neighborhood collection. They could appear in a future issue of the magazine.
• Instagram is a smartphone-only app, but there are nice Instagram-viewing and -managing apps for iPad available for download.
• View our our pics online here.
• This is how we package up and showcase all the best neighborhood news and events, by depositing our News Summary email right into your inbox each week.
• And it’s not just news! Play the newsletter-only giveaway for prize packages like dinner vouchers, event tickets, wine and local retail gift cards. We announce new prizes and the previous week’s winner in every newsletter.
• Our neighborhood Dining News newsletter launches soon — sign up for both here.
These are the social and online tools right now that make sense for Far North Dallas Advocate. Are there tools you aren’t using that could help your group’s visibility or communication? Click here for ideas.